“Hear, my children, the instruction of a father, And give attention to know understanding; For I give you good doctrine: Do not forsake my law. When I was my father’s son, Tender and the only one in the sight of my mother, He also taught me, and said to me: “Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands and live.” Proverbs 4:1 – 4
God gives us in His Word some very important characteristics, attributes and/or goals of a Christian father. We can find some of those these characteristics, attributes and goals in both the Old and New Testament of the Word of God. Well, what are some of them? Let’s consider a few:
- He has received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of his life. John 3:16, and Romans 10:9
- He seeks to read the Word of God daily for himself. Psalm 1, Psalm 119:105 and II Timothy 3:16,17
- He spends time in prayer daily. Mark 1:35 and Philippians 4:6,7
- He seeks to have time daily to bring the family together to read the Word of God, teach the Word of God and pray together. Deuteronomy 6:1 – 9, and Ephesians 6:1 – 4. He makes and takes time to instruct and train his children, teaching them about God, the Word of God, life and wisdom for life. (See the book of Proverbs. Notice how many of them begin with the words “My son … “ or “Hear, my children, …” or a phrase that indicates that a parent is talking to his or her child. Proverbs 2,3,4,5,6,7 and 31.)
- He seeks to take his family to church regularly. His goal is for his family to faithfully be a part of worship service on Sunday mornings and Bible study during the week. He will also seek to have them to be a part of outreach ministries of the local church. Joshua 24:15, Hebrews 10:24 – 25 and Matthew 6:33.
- He has a growing and ongoing understanding of what God has called him to do in life. He seeks with passion to fulfill the specific call of God on his life, whatever that calling may be. Romans 12:1,2 and Colossians 3:1 – 3
- He works faithfully and diligently to provide for and take care of his family. I Timothy 5:8
- He is a protector for his family. Matthew 1,2
- He lives his life as a good role model for his family and others. Joshua 24:15
The world we live in is in tremendous need of the ministry and influence of faithful Christian fathers. Let’s pray that God will raise up through His Church and people many more Christian fathers who understand the important place and call of God upon them to be men who honor God in their lives, the lives of their families and homes, and in the world.